Privacy & Security
Please click here to read our updated Privacy Statement, which will come into effect on November 1, 2015.
Last Updated: Oct. 1, 2012
INTRODUCTION Avon Foundation, a 501(c)(3) not for profit organization having a place of business at 777 Third Avenue, New York, New York 10017 (referred to herein as "Avon Foundation," "we," "us" and "our"), understands the importance of the privacy of individuals who visit and interact with our websites (referred to as "users" and "you"). This Privacy Statement (the "Statement"), which is incorporated into our Terms and Conditions of Use ("Agreement"), describes the information the Avon Foundation collects through AVONFOUNDATION.ORG, AVONWALK.ORG, and ALLFORTHEBREAST.ORG (collectively, the "Avon Foundation Websites"), and how we use and disclose that information. This Statement represents the sole authorized statement of the Avon Foundation's practices with respect to the collection of information through the Avon Foundation Websites and the Avon Foundation's use of that information. By using the Avon Foundation Websites, you agree to this Statement. If you do not agree to this Statement, you may not use the Avon Foundation Websites.
We reserve the right to change this Statement, in whole or in part, from time to time at our sole discretion, and to provide you notice of the change by any reasonable means, including without limitation posting the revised draft of this Statement and notice of the changes on the Avon Foundation Websites. You can determine when this Statement was last revised by referring to the "Last Updated" legend at the top of this Statement. Your continued use of the Avon Foundation Websites following the posting of changes to this Statement constitutes your acceptance of those changes.
The Information We Collect
We collect two basic types of information through the Avon Foundation Websites: your personal information and non-personally identifiable information. "Your Personal Information" is information that identifies you as an individual -- for example, your name, address, telephone number, email address, race and ethnicity, credit card information, and billing address and shipping information. "Non-Personally Identifiable Information" (or "Non-PII") is aggregated information, demographic information, IP addresses and any other information that does not reveal your specific identity.
1. Your Personal Information. You do not have to provide Your Personal Information to access the Avon Foundation Websites. However, in order for you to take advantage of particular opportunities provided through the Avon Foundation Websites (for example, to register for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, to sign up to receive Avon Foundation email newsletters, or to make a donation through an Avon Foundation Website), we may require that you furnish us with Your Personal Information through the Avon Foundation Websites. Information you provide when you register for Avon events, newsletters, or other services are collected directly by our third-party Service Provider and provided to us, except we do not receive any credit card or financial account numbers you provide.
2. NON-PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION ("NON-PII"). When you visit and interact with the Avon Foundation Websites, we and our third party service providers who provide services (including without limitation website hosting, data analysis, and other services of an administrative nature) (those third party service providers, our "Service Providers") may collect Non-PII (for example, a list of the Avon Foundation Website pages you visit). Non-PII is generally collected from server log files, cookies, and pixel tags. Our Service Providers are those third parties who collect information at our direction through the Avon Foundation Websites and do not include Third Party Sites/Services, described in the "OPERATORS OF THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICES" section of this Statement.
- SERVER LOG FILES. Your Internet Protocol ("IP") address is an identifying number that is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. This number is identified and logged automatically in our and/or our Service Providers' server log files whenever you visit the Avon Foundation Websites, along with the time of your visit and the pages that you access. We use this information, in aggregated form, to calculate usage levels on the Avon Foundation Websites, to help diagnose problems with the Avon Foundation Websites' servers, and to improve the user experience on the Avon Foundation Websites.
- PIXEL TAGS. We and our Service Providers may also use so-called "pixel tags," "web beacons," "clear GIFs" or similar means (collectively, "Pixel Tags") in connection with some Avon Foundation Website pages and HTML-formatted email messages to, among other things, compile aggregate statistics about website usage and response rates. A Pixel Tag is an electronic image that is ordinarily not visible to website visitors and may be associated with cookies on 'visitors' hard drives. Pixel Tags allow us and our Service Providers to count users who have visited certain pages of the Avon Foundation Websites, to deliver customized services, and to help determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns. When used in HTML-formatted email messages, Pixel Tags can tell the sender whether and when the email has been opened.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We may use Your Personal Information in the following ways:
- RESPONDING TO YOUR INQUIRIES AND FULFILLING YOUR REQUESTS. We may use Your Personal Information to respond to your inquiries to the Avon Foundation and to fulfill your requests -- for example, to send you newsletters that you request when you sign up to join our mailing lists, to send you updates about the Avon Foundation news and events.
- COMMUNICATING WITH YOU ABOUT THE AVON FOUNDATION. Subject to your right to opt out (see "Opting Out Of Certain Avon Foundation Communications" below), we may use Your Personal Information to send you information about the Avon Foundation that may be of interest to you.
- PERSONALIZING AND IMPROVING YOUR AVON FOUNDATION WEBSITE EXPERIENCE. We may use Your Personal Information to personalize your experience on the Avon Foundation Websites, for example, by presenting information through the Avon Foundation Websites that we believe may be of interest to you. Additionally, we may aggregate Your Personal Information with information collected from other users so that the end-product does not personally identify you or any other user of the Avon Foundation Websites, for example, by using Your Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular zip code or telephone area code.
- SENDING ADMINISTRATIVE EMAILS. From time to time, at our sole discretion, we may use Your Personal Information to send you emails (a) to confirm your registration with the Avon Foundation Websites, (b) to confirm a transaction through the Avon Foundation Websites, (c) to inform you that we have received Your Personal Information, (d) to provide you with information regarding the Avon Foundation Websites, or (e) to inform you of changes to this Statement, the Agreement, or our other terms, conditions, or policies. Because this information may be critical to your use of the Avon Foundation Websites, you may not opt out of receiving these emails.
- OPTING OUT OF CERTAIN AVON FOUNDATION COMMUNICATIONS. If you would prefer not to receive email messages from the Avon Foundation about new products, specials and other items of interest, you may opt out from receiving these messages by following the "unsubscribe" instructions contained in any emails you have received from the Avon Foundation.
TO WHOM DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may disclose Your Personal Information in the following ways:
- ENABLING SERVICE PROVIDERS TO PROVIDE SERVICES. We may share Your Personal Information with Service Providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide services to us. These Services Providers are obligated to keep Your Personal Information confidential.
- FACILITATING SWEEPSTAKES, CONTESTS AND SIMILAR PROMOTIONS. We may, whether alone or in cooperation with third party sponsors, operate sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions ("Promotions") through or in connection with the Avon Foundation Websites. We typically ask you for certain of Your Personal Information when you enter or otherwise participate in a Promotion, and, if applicable, when you win a Promotion. We reserve the right to share Your Personal Information with affiliated and third party sponsors of those Promotions ("Sponsors"), or otherwise in accordance with the rules applicable to the Promotion. You should carefully review the rules of each Promotion in which you participate through the Avon Foundation Websites, as they may contain important additional information about our or Sponsors' use of Your Personal Information. To the extent that the rules of the Promotions concerning the treatment of Your Personal Information conflict with this Statement, the Sponsor's rules will control.
- OTHER DISCLOSURES. Finally, we reserve the right to disclose and use Your Personal Information if we believe that we are required to do so: (a) by law, (b) in response to a court order, subpoena, or law enforcement agency's request; (c) to enforce the Agreement; (d) to protect our operations; (e) to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of the Avon Foundation, you or others; or (f) to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
HOW DO WE USE AND DISCLOSE THE NON-PII WE COLLECT?
Because Non-PII does not personally identify you, we may use Non-PII, and to disclose Non-PII to third parties, for any purpose.
OPERATORS OF THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICES NOTE THAT THIS STATEMENT DOES NOT ADDRESS THE PRIVACY PRACTICES OR POLICIES OF THIRD PARTIES. Without limiting the foregoing, the Avon Foundation Websites may contain links to websites operated by third parties, or may embed services operated by third parties ("Third Party Sites/Services"), and those third parties may have privacy practices that are different from ours. Third Party Services that are embedded in the Avon Foundation Websites are identified as such. If you provide information through any Third Party Site/Service, that information will be collected by, and may be used and disclosed by those third parties, in accordance with the privacy practices and policies of those third parties. Avon Foundation Website users should consult those third parties' privacy policies when using Third Party Sites/Services, as we have no control over the use or disclosure of information by third parties.
We have put in place certain physical, electronic and managerial procedures to help us safeguard against unauthorized access to Your Personal Information and to help maintain data security. For example, we use an encryption technology called Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to help protect the transmission of certain information to and from the Avon Foundation Websites. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage solution will be 100% secure. As a result, although we take steps to protect Your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or receive from us or that we store on our or our Service Providers' systems.
CHANGING OR REMOVING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. We provide you with several options for reviewing, correcting, updating or otherwise modifying Your Personal Information that you have previously provided through the Avon Foundation Websites. We will endeavor to comply with your requests to change, modify or remove Your Personal Information as soon as reasonably practicable. However, we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and there may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed or changed.
LOCATION OF SERVERS AND TRANSFER OF INFORMATION. Our servers are located in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States, be aware that the information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States. By using Our Site or providing your Personal Information to us, you consent to this transfer and to the collection, storage, processing and use of your Personal Information in the United States. If you are located in the United States, our Service Providers may not be located in your geographic area in the United States. By providing your Personal Information on Our Site, you consent to the transfer of your Personal Information to these Service Providers.
PROTECTION OF CHILDREN UNDER AGE 13. Avon Foundation does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under 13 years of age. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child under age 13 may have provided his or her personal information to us through Our Site, please contact us by email at email@example.com, or by regular mail at Avon Foundation, 777 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017.
CONTACTING US. If you have any questions regarding this Statement, please contact us either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by regular mail at Avon Foundation, 777 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017.